The last few weeks I have been preparing myself mentally and physically for return to a school schedule. I completed doctor and dentist appointments, made family visits, and scheduled time for a manicure and pedicure in the company of my daughter. I had a pedicure last October when my daughter married and I don’t remember ever having a manicure so this bit of pampering was such a pleasure! Every time I look at my fingers and toes I am reminded of the time with my daughter, and just as importantly, I acknowledge these are gifts I deserve and probably more frequently than once in a lifetime or once a year.
Pampering doesn’t need to come from scheduled appointments at a day spa. There are several treatments that can be made and used in the comfort of your own home. Home made bath salts and sugar scrubs are easy to make and store to be used at your convenience. Last week I spent three hours working in the garden. When finished my son, after one glance, told me I looked like I had just come out of the “trenches”; dirt covered and exhausted. I was thinking I couldn’t get into the shower fast enough, then remembered I had made bath salts called ” Tired Old Body Salts.” This was just the item to refresh, invigorate, and clean my body and spirits. I keep the prepared salt mixture jar in the bathroom with a wooden scoop inside to make using easy. A scoop of salts in the hand mixed with water and it makes a great scrub in the shower. My tired muscles and tennis elbows felt such relief after the spa treatment I gave myself at home that day. I prefer showers to baths, and using the salt as a scrub works great for me. Additionally, salts frequently are used as a bath or foot soak.
Bath salts and sugar scrubs are easy to make at home because the ingredients are readily available and not overly expensive. These mixes are great gifts for men and women. Package in jars with a tight seal to prevent the essential oils from evaporating or the oils from thickening. Use your imagination and creativity to select and decorate the jar, and don’t forget to consider how to dress-up the gift presentation. You will have a gift that not only looks great and is easy to make, but one that will be appreciated with each “pampering.”
These recipes are taken from my soap-making workshop materials.
Homemade Sea Salt Scrub Recipes
Just A Few Simple Ingredients Are Needed For Homemade Salt Scrubs
Exfoliating Salt Body Scrub
1/2 cup fine sea salt
1/4 cup oatmeal (ground, uncooked)
1/4 cup flaxseed oil
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
8 drops geranium oil
* Mix ingredients then massage over your body to exfoliate skin, it’s best to do this in the tub after a bath or shower.
Lavender Sea Salt Scrub
1/4 cup fine sea salt
1/4 cup olive oil
3 to 5 drops lavender essential oil
* Mix ingredients together then use to exfoliate body. Add a bit of water or liquid soap as you scrub.
Favorite Scent Sea Salt Body Scrub
3 cups fine sea salt
3/4 cup olive oil
3/4 cup sweet almond oil
your choice of essential oils
* Mix ingredients together then store in a sealed glass jar. Use to exfoliate and scrub body after showering.
Peppermint Salt Foot Scrub
1 1/2 cups fine sea salt
1/3 cup olive oil
3 drops peppermint essential oil
* Exfoliate your soles and heels with this mixture after a bath or foot soak.
* Mix and store ingredients in glass bowls and jars to prevent reactions with other materials.
* For something different, try adding a bit of gentle liquid soap to your homemade scrubs before using.
* Use a loofah or bristle brush when applying the salt scrub; gives a nice massage while exfoliating.
* Regular sea salts will work with these recipes; however, some believe Dead Sea salts are the most therapeutic, relieve pain from arthritis and helps achieves a “salt glow” to your skin.
Make Homemade Sugar Scrubs
Recipe #1 – Brown Sugar Scrub
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup of almond oil
1/4 cup of liquid Ivory hand soap
1/4 tsp of vanilla
Recipe #2 – Lemon Sugar Scrub
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup olive oil
1 TBS lemon zest (grated)
Recipe #3 – Lavender & Rosewood Scrub
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup almond oil
1/2 tsp vitamin E
6 drops rosewood essential oil
4 drops lavender essential oil
Recipe # 4 Brown Sugar and Coffee Scrub
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
3 TBS fresh coffee grounds
5 tsp almond oil
5 tsp jojoba oil
2 tsp honey
1 tsp vitamin E
1 tsp vanilla
Recipe #5 – Tea Sugar Scrub
2 cups white sugar
1 cup honey
2 TBS tea
5 drops vanilla
Recipe #6 – Yogurt Sugar Scrub
3 TBS baby oil
1 TBS yogurt
1 TBS white sugar
* Mix ingredients till well blended, store in sealed container, and use as a body scrub/exfoliator.
This weekend why not pick up the ingredients and make one of the salt or sugar scrub recipes? Make enough to gift to a friend as a random act of kindness, then give yourself a home spa treatment and enjoy another opportunity to experience Life’s Simple Pleasures.